QUICK & EASY COUSCOUS SALAD

18:58 prplsgr 0 Comments



A miracle happened today, a sweet couscousy miracle sprinkled with feta cheese and pine nuts. I somehow managed to make a tasty lunch for myself that didn't require me pointing to items behind a glass screen and deciding between regular or peppered cheese.

It's been on my list to learn a simple couscous recipe that I can easily prepare for lunch when I head back to France (you'd be surprised how quickly the novelty of buying baguettes everyday wears off) and so today was the day to finally tick this off. I didn't want anything too fancy, just something that would be filling enough to get me through the afternoon, not too heavy, and something that didn't include the words 'jambon emmental'.

And so I found this humble couscous salad recipe, easy to prepare and should last for two days worth of lunch. I also added some chicken breast to this as the couscous alone probably wouldn't sustain my appetite, however this does up the cost a bit if you're looking for some low budget cooking.


Ingredients:

100g couscous
250ml vegetable stock (I prefer the Knorr stock pots)
2 spring onions
1 red pepper
1/4 cucumber
1 tbsp pesto
Feta cheese cubes
Pine nuts to sprinkle on top

Method:

Pour the couscous into a glass bowl and add the vegetable stock, then cover and leave for 7-10 minutes. While you're waiting for the couscous, cut up the spring onions and pepper and dice the cucumber. Give the couscous a quick stir to make sure all the stock has been absorbed, then add the onions, pepper and cucumber and stir before adding the pesto. Give another good stir then crumble the feta cheese over (add as much as you like) and give one final stir to make sure all the ingredients are well distributed.

To serve, dish out and sprinkle some pine nuts over, before adding the sliced chicken breast (optional) on top.

Pop any leftover couscous in a Tupperware box and store in the fridge (don't keep for more than a day or two if you want it to taste fresh!).

0 comments: